New York: $500.00 Reward
Turn In Your Gun Owner Neighbors!
February 1, 2001
Dear Civil Rights Defender,
After seeing some literature reminiscent of a Nazi Germany type "turn in your neighbor" policy at a New York City Community Council meeting last week, I have finally obtained documentation from one of my NYC PD inside contacts. What follows below is the official Police Department City of New York Auxiliary Police Section A.P.S. Bulletin # 001 January 12, 2001 Subject: Auxiliary Police Participation "Operation Gun Stop which follows directly from the official Chief of Department Memo #1, Subject: Operation Gun Stop, cs 01-12-01.
Please see the fully transcribed copy of the document, "Operation Gun Stop" below. If you wish to see a photocopy of the actual document, click here.
The effect of the New York City policy, as directly quoted from the document, is that:
"... private citizens will be able to anonymously provide this Department with information regarding individuals or locations involved with illegal handguns. Individuals who provide information that leads to an arrest for such sale/possession will be eligible for a cash reward of $500. ..."
As this demonstrates, individuals can secretly make the accusation, the police will perform the raid, and YOU will be arrested. You will NOT be able to face your secret accuser. Your accuser may NOT even have any real knowledge substantiating his claim. But, that does NOT matter. We are ALL hostage to the whim of our neighbors -- just like in an oppressive totalitarian regime we live in fear if we exercise our now impotent rights!
This new initiative will be a widespread, well funded operation seeking to enlist the participation of as many residents as possible. There will be a variety of promotional literature posted and handed out in the community as well as at public city events. There will be advertising, as well. The city is serious about the recruitment of New Yorkers to turn in their neighbors in order to eradicate non-registered gun ownership.
Additionally, I do NOT recall that the literature that I read at the New York City Community Council meeting last week limited the program to hand guns only! Any secret accusation will cause the police to come into your home. Anything that they find that is NOT in perfect COMPLIANCE with the myriad of confusing laws will result in an arrest and confiscation. This does NOT just apply to handguns! The "Operation Gunstop" is just an excuse to enter and search your premises.
Just remember what has been happening in Connecticut since their "danger to oneself/public/firearms" snitch law went into effect in October 1999. All neighbors with a grudge against you have to do is call the police claiming that you are acting "odd" and that they "feel" that you may be a danger to yourself. The police will promptly come and confiscate your legally owned firearms. Good luck getting them back.
I will have to wait until the complete package of literature arrives before I can be sure that the city will be encouraging its own citizens to turn in their neighbors who may own ANY type of firearm.
Please read on below, and use the links provide to make contact with the appropriate officials to express your opinion of this program. Thank you.
Text of Actual Government Memo
CITY OF NEW YORK
AUXILIARY POLICE SECTION
A.P.S. BULLETIN # 001 JANUARY 12, 2001
SUBJECT: AUXILIARY POLICE PARTICIPATION "OPERATION GUN STOP"
1. As part of our Department's Policing NYC:2001 strategy, "Operation Gun Stop" has been created whereby members of the public will be encouraged to participate in our effort to combat illegal sale and/or possession of handguns. Under this program, private citizens will be able to anonymously provide this Department with information regarding individuals or locations involved with illegal handguns. Individuals who provide information that leads to an arrest for such sale/possession will be eligible for a cash reward of $500. Auxiliary police officers while performing patrol and community activities are in a key position to convey this invaluable information to private citizens in their community and accordingly have been requested to assist in this endeavor.
2. Auxiliary police officers have been requested by both the Chief of the Department and Chief of Patrol to participate in disseminating information to the general public regarding "Operation Gun Stop". To begin, auxiliary police coordinators are to immediately confer with their Commanding Officer and or Executive Officer for instruction relative to their individual command's strategy for utilization of auxiliary police officers in distribution and dissemination of information to the public. In order to promote the GUN STOP initiative, auxiliary police coordinators shall then be responsible to ensure that their auxiliary police personnel are informed of and distribute informational material (flyers, posters, and cards). Refer to instructions as per CHIEF OF DEPARTMENT MEMO #1, Subject: Operation Gun Stop, cs 01-12-01.
3. All commands will receive "Operation Gun Stop" informational materials which include 3 1/2" x 4 1/2 "cards, 8 1/2 x 11" flyers, and 11" x 17" posters. All auxiliary police coordinators shall acquire these materials from their command and or the borough auxiliary police coordinator for distribution by auxiliary police personnel. Members of the Auxiliary Police Program should take advantage of any contact(s) with the public, to make citizens aware of "Operation Gun Stop". Auxiliary police officers may distribute these materials to the public while on patrol and or at special events and details, recruitment drives, street fairs, and community meetings, etc.
4. All auxiliary police coordinators and auxiliary police commanding officers shall make "Operation Gun Stop" strategy their priority and ensure that all auxiliary police assigned are familiar with it's goals and are actively participating.
5. For your information and compliance. Angelo J. Maroulis Captain cc: Chief of Department Chief of Patrol A.P.S. BULLETIN # 001 JANUARY 12, 2001
NYC LINKS � NYC LINKS � NYC LINKS
For additional information on this matter, try accessing New York City websites:
Auxiliary Police - Patrol Services Bureau COMMANDING OFFICER AUXILIARY POLICE SECTION CAPTAIN ANGELO J. MAROULIS 120-55 QUEENS BOULEVARD KEW GARDENS, N.Y. 11424 (718) 520-9243 http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/pct/auxpct.html
New York State Constitution ARTICLE XII Defense Section 1.
The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.
U.S. Constitution Bill of Rights Article II (Bill of Rights ratified effective December 15, 1791)
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Resolved -- United States Senate May 17, 2000
... But first the Senate also passed, 69-30, a similarly non-binding resolution by Majority Leader Trent Lott declaring that the Second Amendment "protects the rights of each law-abiding U.S. citizen to own a firearm for any legitimate purpose, including self-defense or recreation." --May 17, 2000 Neal Knox Report
Rights, Not Privileges
"No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor." --Murdock v. Pennsylvania, 319 US 105, US Supreme Court, 1943.
The U.S. Supreme Court broadly and unequivocally held that requiring licensing or registration of any constitutional right is itself unconstitutional. --Follett vs. Town of McCormick, S.C., 321 U.S. 573 
Additional Quotes to Consider
"I have described [the BATF] properly as JACKBOOTED AMERICAN FASCISTS. They have shown no concern over the rights of ordinary citizens or their property. They intrude without the slightest regard or concern." --Rep. John Dingell (D-16th/MI), Congressional Record, 02/08/1995
"The Brady Bill's only effect will be to desensitize the public to regulation of weapons in preparation for their ultimate confiscation." --Charles Krauthammer, Syndicated Columnist, The Washington Post, April 5, 1996
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun. Safety locks? You will pull the trigger with a lock on, and I'll pull the trigger. We'll see who wins." -- Mafia informant Sammy "the Bull" Gravano. Interview in Vanity Fair magazine, August 1999.
"I'm not at all sure that even a callous, irresponsible drug dealer with a 6-year-old in the house wouldn't leave a child trigger lock on a gun." --President William Jefferson Clinton, as quoted in the The Washington Post, 03/09/2000
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight. And it is in such twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air, however slight, lest we become unwitting victims of the darkness. ~~ Justice William O. Douglas, US Supreme Court (1939-75)
"...it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds..." --Samuel Adams
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." -- Henry David Thoreau
"A law repugnant to the Constitution is void." -- Marbury v. Madison, U.S. Supreme Court, 1803
"With these words, Chief Justice John Marshall established the Supreme Court's role in the new government. Hereafter, the Court was recognized as having the power to review all acts of Congress where constitutionality was at issue, and judge whether they abide by the Constitution." (Supplemental text by Robert F. Tedeschi, Jr. from THE U.S. CONSTITUTION and Fascinating Facts About It, Sixth Edition, Oak Hill Publishing, 1998).
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." -- Mark Twain
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed [and hence clamorous to be led to safety] by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." --H. L. Mencken
"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything." - Josef Stalin
This same concept precedes Stalin and is also attributable to Boss Tweed of New York's Tammany Hall of the nineteenth century.
"Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny." --Edmund Burke
We must metaphorize the Demoncrats by metamorphosing their image into what can only be described as STALINIST! Do NOT stop there -- the same must be done to all parties that divide the people and disregard OUR Bill of Rights.
As I Have Been Saying:
Be always: vigilant, prepared to take action to preserve your Liberty, and encourage others to do the same!
"All that is left for Freedom to perish, is for good people to do nothing."
Remember: "Tyranny is always better organized than freedom."