Murphy's Laws of Combat
- You are not a superman.
- If it's stupid but works, it's
- Don't look conspicuous, it
- When in doubt, empty your
- Never share a foxhole with
anyone braver than you are.
- Remember: Your weapon
was made by the lowest bidder.
- If your attack is going really
well, it's an ambush.
- No plan survives the first
- All 5-second grenade fuses
will burn out in 3.
- Try to look unimportant.
The enemy may be low on ammo.
- If you are forward of your
position the artillery will always fall short.
- The important things are
- The simple things are always
- The easy way is always mined.
- If you are short of everything
except enemy, you're in combat.
- When you have secured an
objective, don't forget to let the enemy know about it.
- Incoming fire has the right of
- If the enemy is in range, SO
- No combat ready unit ever
- Beer math: two beers times 37
men equal 49 cases.
- Body count math: two guerillas
plus one portable plus two pigs equal 37 enemy KIA.
- Things that must be together
to work usually can't be shipped together.
- Radios will fail as soon as
you need fire support desperately.
- Anything you do can get you
shot, including doing nothing.
- Tracers work both ways.
- The only thing more accurate
than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
- Make it tough for the enemy to
get in any you can't get out.
- If you take more than your
fair share of objectives, you will have more than your fair
share of objectives to take.
- When both sides are convinced
that they are about to lose, they are both right.
- Professional soldiers are
predictable, but the world is full of amateurs.
- Murphy was a grunt.
- PLEASE READ
|This page is an
unofficial document and does not represent information
endorsed by the United States Government, the United
States Special Operations Command or the United States
Army Special Operations Command. However, most
information is derived from those sources and has been
checked for accuracy. For comments, questions, and
suggestions, please go to the Communications
Gunnery Network - SOF